To understand donation, these two factors are needed to be understood:- FAQ’s & Myths and Misconception
Who can be an eye donor?
Anyone can be a donor irrespective of age, sex, blood group, religion, caste or creed.
Do religious authorities approve of donating ones eyes?
Yes. All religious faiths support this vital sight restoration program.
Is the whole eye used for transplant?
No. Only the thin transparent layer in front of the iris, called the cornea is used for transplant.
Myths and Misconception
There are many myths and misconceptions about organ and tissue donation. Here are the facts :
- A doctor’s first priority is to save your life, whether you are a donor or not.
- People of all ages and medical histories can be donors. Medical suitability is determined case-by-case, at the time of death.
- All major religions support organ, eye and tissue donation as an act of charity.
- There is no cost to the donor’s family for donation.
- It is illegal to buy and sell organs and tissue for transplant in India.